A Request for Help
YOU can help save Hailey
…and the thousands like her around the country
On June 6, 2007, our daughter Hailey Jaye Meltz, then 20 MONTHS old, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor called a Pediatric Low Grade Astrocytoma or “PLGA” (also referred to as “JPA” or Juvenile Pilocytic Astrocytoma. We will use PLGA throughout this letter). Currently, there is no cure for this tumor and the treatments that do exist are outdated, toxic, and ultimately torturous to the thousands of kids affected.
Brain tumors are the #1 cause of cancer death in children, and the #2 overall cause of childhood death behind accidents. PLGA’s are the most common type of childhood brain tumor, yet sadly, funding and research for better treatments and an eventual cure lag dramatically behind other cancers. There is hope, but your generous donations are desperately needed to speed up progress toward PLGA SPECIFIC RESEARCH as the race against the clock has begun and time is something these forgotten children and their families cannot afford.
We, the parents of Hailey and her older sister Faith, are writing this to assist fundraising efforts to change the outlook for our family and the thousands like us around the country. We plead for your financial support in the search for kinder, gentler treatments for these kids and a 100% cure. According to experts, with new scientific advances the acceleration of research to find more effective therapies for PLGA is quite realistic, but... read more -->
Our Journal Sign-up to be notified of updates
Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 12:40pm
Hailey had her 8th birthday on Tuesday! She's doing very well and had a great day.
We have decided to go ahead and schedule the surgery to drain the cyst in early January, unless symptoms arise to force us to do it sooner. If after her next MRI in December her cyst has decreased in size by some miracle, we will delay the surgery. We are really struggling with having to do this to her, but it's sounding like we might not have a choice. Still crossing our fingers for a reason to hold off.
We are also making decisions on the next course of treatment for her. At this point she is done with the current treatment. It has worked in keeping the tumor at bay, but she has been on chemo so long, and on this chemo two different times, we all feel it is the right time to stop it for now. So we are leaning towards putting her on RAD001 (a drug the PLGA Foundation sponsored research has had a large hand in). It is a newer regimen but has shown early success and to be well tolerated and it is an oral medication (so the amount of times she has to go to madison decreases AND the number of times she has to get poked decreases). If this could work for another year in keeping the tumor the same size or less, we would then likely try to take up to a year off at that time and do MRI's every 2 months to watch the tumor closely. Bottom line, she needs a break, we need a break, but we're all worried about stopping right now because history tells us when Hailey's tumor is not treated, it grows. So as of now, that is looking like our likely course. Hoping like crazy we get no growth, she tolerates the drug well, and in about a year from now we can take a long break. All too far ahead to think in the brain tumor world though I guess.
Major SponsorsTeam Hailey would like to thank the following sponsors for their generous support.
Please click on their logos for more information.
For information on becoming a business sponsor of team Hailey contact us.